In Darkling Wood Review

In Darkling Wood - Emma Carroll

4.5/5 stars
*Disclaimer: I recieved a copy of the book on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

In Darkling Wood is a truly magical story. Alice's life is difficult. Her little brother needs a new heart, her parents are seperated, and she's had to grow up faster than most kids.

She has to stay in a cottage near Darkling Wood with a grandmother she's never met while Theo gets the heart transplant. Her grandmother, Nell, wants to cut down the woods surrounding her house before they cause a subsidence. Nobody likes that idea. Least of all Flo, a little girl in a red coat who is trying to get Alice to understand she can stop this.

It's a great story, but a bit tragic, to be honest. If you're someone who's looking for a light-hearted story, this isn't it. From the cover and the synopsis I was so excited. I thought, a cute kid's story about fairies, count me in! But it's so much more than that. It's well written, it handles the issues in a real way, and it shows how important hope can be.

I do recommend this story and I hope that everyone loves it the way I do. I had never read anything by Emma Carroll before today, but now I can't wait to get ahold of her other books.