The Bad Beginning Review

A Series of Unfortunate Events 1: The Bad Beginning - Lemony Snicket

2.5/5 stars
After a long day I wanted to read but I wanted something light, and entertaining. I opted for a kid’s book, The Bad Beginning, thinking that if I enjoyed it I would have several more books in this series to read after days like today. I don’t know how I felt about the book. I didn’t hate it. I didn’t like it.

I didn’t have a difficult time with it because of the awful events happening to children or because Count Olaf was a horrid man. I think it was mostly because I knew that even as a child I would have been insulted by the defining every “difficult” word. I mean I was reading books like The Giver and Princess Diaries as a kindergartener because I found reading fun. I can see the appeal for certain types of kids but as a kid I wouldn’t have liked it. The story behind that is one that I think could have been great but was effectively ruined by the annoying and constant definitions.

And yet, despite giving such a low rating and finding the style of writing quite irritating, I still do want to read the second book in the series. I guess that speaks on how much I could have loved the story without its glaring flaw.