Roses are Red...Violet is Dead Review

Roses are Red... Violet is Dead - Monica-Marie Vincent

1/5 stars
*Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I saw this book on Netgalley and thought it sounded interesting. After looking into it a little it was really high rated and all the reviewers were raving about how well written and enjoyable it was. I think we must have read different books because my experience was much different. I didn’t like the book at all and I actually took to doing anything and everything I could to not have to read it. A read that should’ve been a few hours took me 3 days. I actually cleaned out both my room and my email inbox to get a break from reading this.

I don’t get offended easily. This quote made me put my Kindle down and roll my eyes. Are you fucking kidding me Violet, you don’t get offended easily? She had already stormed away in anger from conversations 3 times and that was by Chapter 2 at 7% when she said this. Violet gets offended very easily apparently.

The only time I was even semi-interested was reading the second Roses are Red poem, and the next sentence ruined it. Are you seriousing me right now? Yes, Yes I am. That sentence snapped me out of the momentary enjoyment the story provided. The dialogue was unbelievable at times, and actually painfully difficult for me to read.

The book was in desperate need of some editing. It was riddled with repetitive paragraphs, poor word choices, and just bad writing in general. With editing the story would be a ton better but I honestly don’t think I would have given it more than one star even with the improvements. Monica-Marie Vincent’s writing style is not my cup of tea at all. I don’t think I’ve ever disliked a book so much, and wished it would end so badly.

Don’t read this book if you dislike vulgar language. It used cussing to hide the fact that it wasn’t well written. There was a minimum of a cuss word per page. With unbelievable dialogue, annoying characters, a serious need for editing, and being predictable in every aspect I can’t recommend this book to anyone. I don’t believe I will be reading any of Monica-Marie Vincent’s future novels.