The Golden Braid Review

The Golden Braid - Melanie Dickerson

3/5 stars

*Disclaimer:I received a copy of the book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Ah the classic retelling dilemma. On one hand I read it because I love the original story so much and don’t really want things changed, on the other if it’s not unique enough it can feel like a waste of time. This version did a pretty good job of finding the balance between old and new. It’s not the same old story of Rapunzel being locked in a tower her whole life without much explanation as to why. But you still have some of the same well-known characters such as Rapunzel, Gothel, and the dashing knight. While I liked this one and didn’t have any trouble reading it and getting through it I also don’t have that much to say about it. It didn’t leave a lasting impression in the end.

I think making a lasting impression is a hard feat for a retelling to pull off. You have too much familiar territory that gets mixed in making things too common. So while this was a good story and Melanie Dickerson did a great job of writing it just falls into the general ‘it was good’ area that most stories of its kind do. Don’t let that discourage you though, if you like fairytales this is a good one to read and pass a little time with.